The 2012/13 campaign was kicked off yesterday with a League Cup tie against newly promoted York City.

The Minstermen were promoted on their second visit to Wembley last season, having already won the FA Trophy there weeks earlier. Their promotion marked the end of an eight year stay in the Conference.

Doncaster Rovers v York City (14/04/2004)

York last visited Doncaster in 2004, towards the end of the Division Three league season. A defeat for York would see them relegated from the Football League whereas a win for Rovers would see them move to within a point of a second promotion in as many years.

It was the hosts that took the lead through GREGG BLUNDELL after only 5 minutes before Sunderland loanee CHRIS BROWN doubled the advantage three minute later.

York were next to score through a 25 yard free kick from DUNNING who beat Andy Warrington with ease.

CHRIS BROWN scored a second to seal the win after 57 minutes when he tapped in Michael McIndoe’s low cross.

The win therefore relegated York City and put Rovers one point away from promotion with 2 games remaining.

Match Action – First Half

Dean Saunders fielded a side that included 3 new signings, while he was only able to name 4 out of an allowed 7 substitutes.

The first half began with York on the front foot, and their first effort came in the second minute from Jonathan Smith with a 20 yard strike. The shot was saved by Gary Woods.

Rovers first shot came in the 16th minute after good some play by the visitors prevented the hosts getting into the game. David Cotterill’s corner was met by Tommy Spurr from close range, but his effort failed to trouble the visiting keeper.

Both sides continued to have chances throughout the remainder of the half with York having the much better of the possession. Rovers’ half was poor and they were lucky to be on level terms.

At the break


Match Action – Second Half

The second half was more equally fought than that of the first, but it was again York who took advantage. They opened the scoring in the 65th minute. MICHAEL COULSON struck an unstoppable shot from 25 yards after a good run. York were the deserved leaders.

Although Doncaster Rovers were edging closer to equalising, it looked unlikely they would find the net. That was until David Cotterill was brought down in the box by Lee Bullock in the 73rd minute. CHRIS BROWN stepped up to score the spot kick, striking low into the left of the net.

Both sides again came close in the remainder of normal time but neither could make a breakthrough.


The extra time period provided little entertainment, and neither side came close to scoring another. The game needed penalties to settle the tie.

MATCH ACTION – Penalties

(o)=goal scored (x)=miss

Rovers                            York

Brown (o)                        Coulson (x)

Woods (o)                       Challinor (o)

Bennett (o)                     Potts (o)

Blake (o)                          Blair (x)

How it finished


Doncaster Rovers won 4-2 on penalties.

vikingsbloggen MOTM – David Cotterill.Referee – G. Salisbury.

Attendance – 4,937. Match Rating – 5/10. Atmosphere Rating – 7/10.

How they lined up



Quinn Jones Spurr Husband

Coppinger Woods Keegan Cotterill

Bennett BROWN

And on the bench… Maxted, Wakefield (Quinn – 95), Blake (Cotterill – 106), Syers (Keegan – 57).

York City


Doig Smith Parslow Fyfield

Bullock Smith McLaughlin Walker

Chambers Coulson

And on the bench… Musselwhite, Blanchett, Blair (Walker – 78), Potts (Smith – 112), Challinor (McLaughlin – 87), Johnson, Henderson.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s