Championship Hull City travelled to the Keepmoat last night for a pre-season friendly ahead of the 2012/13 season.

Hull last visited Doncaster in September, a game that saw the sides finish level with a goal each.

MARTIN WAGHORN gave the visitors the lead after 24 minutes before SIMON GILLETT produced an equaliser in the second half.

Match Action – First Half

Rovers took the opportunity to showcase their new away strip for the game with Hull.

It was the visitors who took the lead after only 8 minutes. A Stewart sent in a low cross from the right wing, only for Rovers’ new signing ROB JONES to tap the ball into the net. Not the best start for Rovers, and it looked set to get worse almost immediately afterwards. On 10 minutes, James Husband brought down Hull’s Aluko in the area to award them a penalty. Cairney took the kick but smashed the ball against the crossbar to keep the score at 0-1.

Rovers began to settle down a little more following the early Hull pressure. Neither side had any chances of note throughout the remainder of the half, although the visitors saw much more of the ball than Rovers.

First Half – Line Up

Gary Woods (GK), Paul Quinn, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr, James Husband, David Cotterill, Brian Stock, Martin Woods, Robbie Blake, Kyle Bennett, Chris Brown.

Half Time


Match Action – Second Half

Doncaster Rovers took the half time break as an opportunity to make several changes. Blake had already been replaced by Syers in the first half, while Cotterill, Stock and Brown were replaced by Keegan, Coppinger and Hawley.

Rovers looked much the brighter in the second half, keeping possession much better than in the first. After 56 minutes they drew level. MARTIN WOODS skipped past several static Hull defenders before unleashing a powerful shot from the edge of the area, beating Ben Amos in the goal.

Shortly after the goal, Kyle Bennett slipped a neat ball through to Karl Hawley but his shot was parried by Amos. His parry fell straight to the feet of another Rovers’ sub in AMARI MORGAN-SMITH who slotted home for the second. Unfortunately in stopping the initial shot, Ben Amos was badly injured and after lengthy treatment was eventually stretchered off and replaced by Jakupovic.

The hosts continued to press and eventually scored a third. This time, Bennett’s speedy run was halted by Bradley in the area to award Rovers a penalty. MARTIN WOODS stepped up and slotted home to send Rovers into a well deserved victory against the Championship side from East Yorkshire.

Second Half – Line Up

Gary Woods, Paul Quinn, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr, James Coppinger, MARTIN WOODS, Paul Keegan, David Syers, Kyle Bennett, Karl Hawley, AMARI MORGAN-SMITH.

How it finished


vikingsbloggen MOTM – Kyle Bennett/Martin Woods.

Performance – 8/10.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s